Pauls Valley, OK, Pauls Valley Democrat

March 7, 2012

Voters say yes to fire tax

Barry Porterfield
Pauls Valley Democrat

Pauls Valley, Oklahoma — Voters said yes in a big way Tuesday for a quarter cent county sales tax meant to help fire protection services throughout Garvin County.

After all the ballots were counted up the measure passed by a 2,626 to 1,099 count, which comes to 70.5 percent support.

The quarter cent tax will go for the "maintenance and operation of the 12 fire departments in Garvin County."

With the measure now given the OK by voters a total of 96 percent of the funding generated by the tax will be split equally among the departments, while the remaining 4 percent is for Garvin County's emergency management.

"Thank you to everybody for voting for this," said Eddie Stewart, Elmore City's fire chief.

"All the firefighters are saying thank you, thank you for supporting this."

In Lindsay a total of nine candidates were vying for three seats on the city council there.

Claiming the top three spots were Debbie Whitehead with nearly 23 percent of the votes cast, followed by Jane Pool (19.2 percent) and Pearlee Adams (13.75 percent).

In the Democratic primary for president Barack Obama finished with 34.5 percent of the Garvin County vote, followed by 27 percent for Jim Rogers.

On the Republican side the primary vote here went to Rick Santorum with 35.8 percent support.

In Garvin County he was followed by Newt Gingrich (28.8 percent), Mitt Romney (21 percent) and Ron Paul (12.6 percent).