Pauls Valley, OK, Pauls Valley Democrat

January 8, 2013

Assessor road trip set again

Barry Porterfield
Pauls Valley Democrat — An annual tour throughout the area, meant to help out taxpayers with any questions they might have, will soon begin for Garvin County’s assessor.

Beverly Strickland says the yearly assessor tour is a great way to visit with residents as all the stops will be at senior citizen centers in each town in the county.

“This allows me to visit with people and answer any questions they have about property taxes,” Strickland said. “It makes it more convenient for the taxpayers.”

The tour schedule looks like this:

• Lindsay - Jan. 10, 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

• Maysville - Jan. 17, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

• Wynnewood - Jan. 24, 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

• Pauls Valley - Jan. 25, 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

• Elmore City - Jan. 29, 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

• Stratford - Jan. 31, 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

• Paoli - Feb. 7, 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

The typical focus of these assessor visits is on such exemptions as homestead and double homestead.

“We will accept homesteads and answer questions about anything related to property tax,” Strickland said.

Property owners can apply for exemptions through March 15 for the 2013 year.

Homestead exemptions can be turned in if a document has been filed with the county clerk’s office prior to Feb. 1. You must be living on the property as of Jan. 1, 2013 to qualify.

Double homestead exemptions are based on a total annual household income of $20,000 or less. There is no age requirement, and this exemption only applies to homestead property.

Strickland said there’s different exemptions people can have for property taxes.

For people 65 and older the maximum income amount for the “senior freeze” is now set at $46,600. Those who qualify will receive a freeze on the value of their homestead property but not the tax levy.

An exemption is also available for veterans who are 100 percent disabled. A qualifying letter from the Veteran’s Administration is required, along with a veteran’s ID card.

Farm sales tax exempt numbers can also be renewed before they expire. Cards that expire June 30 need to be renewed before that date.

Business personal property renditions need to be filed before March 15.

Anyone with questions should contact the assessor’s office in the county courthouse in PV or call 405-238-2409.