PV Democrat Staff
Pauls Valley Democrat
Pauls Valley, Oklahoma —
The tour continues this week as Garvin County’s assessor continues her series of stops to help out with any questions about property taxes.
Beverly Strickland is set to stop at the senior citizens community center in Wynnewood from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 23.
Then it’s time for Pauls Valley as she’s scheduled to be at the senior center in Wacker Park from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 24.
The remaining tour schedule includes:
• Maysville - Jan. 29, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• Stratford - Jan. 30, 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
• Paoli - Feb. 6, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Strickland has said such exemptions as homestead and double homestead are typically the focus of people coming to these assessor visits.
“We will accept homesteads and answer questions about anything related to property tax,” she said.
Property owners can apply for exemptions through March 15 for the 2014 year.
Homestead exemptions can be turned in if a deed showing ownership has been filed with the county clerk’s office prior to Feb. 1. You must be living on the property as of Jan. 1, 2014 to qualify.
Double homestead exemptions are based on a total annual household income of $20,000 or less. There is no age requirement, and this exemption only applies to homestead property.
There are a number of other exemptions people can have for property taxes.
• In other news, voters in the Pauls Valley and Maysville school districts have until Wednesday, Feb. 5 to request mailed absentee ballots for school board elections on Feb. 11.
In-person absentee voting will be available Feb. 6-7 at the county Election Board office.
• Also the 48th annual Groundhog Breakfast will be from 7 a.m. to noon Saturday, Feb. 1 at Pauls Valley’s First United Methodist Church, 401 N. Willow.
Tickets are $5 for adults and children under 12 are $3. Tickets can be purchased in advance from Sunday school class members, from Jennifer at the Recreation Center or at the door the morning of the breakfast.
Call 238-0153 for more.