Pauls Valley, OK, Pauls Valley Democrat

April 11, 2013

Motive unclear in Paoli shooting

Barry Porterfield
Pauls Valley Democrat — Investigators are still looking into what triggered a deadly confrontation inside a Paoli house that left one man fatally shot and another killed by his own hand.

Known for sure is Antonio Elias Reynoso, believed to be 58 years old, fired the gunshots Monday that killed Noel Sanchez, 22, at their residence in the 100 block of West in Paoli.

Hours later Reynoso, who barricaded himself inside the house, was found dead by an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Garvin County Sheriff Larry Rhodes said the investigation has since been focused on figuring out what caused the tragic incident.

“We think something led up to an argument between these two men and shots were fired,” Rhodes said. “We know there was some hostility between them.

“We’re uncovering some unreported instances of domestic violence there. We’re being told there was some domestic violence in the house,” he said, adding the sheriff’s office had no previous reports of this type from the house.

No real specifics are known about what led up to the confrontation between Sanchez and Reynoso, who both lived in the home with Sanchez’ mother.

Also a part of the investigation is getting a positive identification on Reynoso, who the sheriff said was found to have numerous alias names and an extensive criminal record in California.

The scene in Paoli began to unfold late Monday morning after Paoli Police Chief Johnny Turner and Assistant Chief James Caskey arrived at the residence within a minute of a 911 emergency call requesting an ambulance for a gunshot victim, according to Rhodes.

The Paoli officers located the victim inside the same house where the shooting suspect was last seen.

After removing Sanchez to safety, officers tried to locate the suspect but found a bedroom door had been locked or barricaded from the inside.

County deputies and officers from nearby police departments then arrived to set up a perimeter around the house.

It was determined the suspect was likely inside the bedroom and still armed with the handgun used in the shooting.

According to Rhodes, the 911 call was made by the brother of Sanchez, who was inside the house at the time of the shooting. The call was made at 11:05 a.m. Monday, April 8.

“He heard the shots and went in there and saw the suspect with a gun,” Rhodes said. “He got out of the house and contacted police.”

Later called in to help was an Oklahoma Highway Patrol tactical team, which used an armored vehicle to make entry into the barricaded room at about 4 p.m.

The dead body of Reynoso was found at that time.

Sanchez was pronounced dead upon his arrival at the Pauls Valley General Hospital from the fatal gunshot wounds.