Pauls Valley, OK, Pauls Valley Democrat

April 9, 2013

Paoli shooting ends in death of victim, shooter

Ezra Mann
Pauls Valley Democrat — All eyes were on Paoli Monday as a shooting at a home initially resulted in the death of one individual and closed off several streets throughout the day.

It was about 11:05 a.m. that morning when the Paoli Police Department responded to a call at 101 West St. where one male individual, Noel Sanchez-Gonzalez, was found shot inside, according to Garvin County Sherriff Larry Rhodes. After finding the victim inside, officers arranged for him to be transported by ambulance to Pauls Valley General Hospital where he later died from the injuries sustained.

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol along with law enforcement agencies from Pauls Valley to Elmore City and Maysville were called to the scene for assistance after it was determined that the shooter, Antonio Elias Reynoso, appeared to be locked inside one of the rooms of the house, said Rhodes. He noted how tactical officers and investigators attempted to communicate with the individual, who did not respond after repeated attempts were made over several hours.

“We never could get in or get a response so we tried to treat it as if we had a barricaded suspect,” said Rhodes.

Rhodes noted how at about 4 p.m. officers gained entry and found the shooter deceased from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. Investigators were later granted a search warrant to begin searching the rest of the property as well.

“We are about to start processing this as a crime scene,” said Rhodes.

With the participation of emergency responders, a perimeter was set up blocking streets like the rest of West Avenue, West Main Street off of US Highway 77, Stewart and Dulin Drive until about 5 p.m.

According to High School Principal David Morris, the incident also required a lockdown of the campus as a safety precaution, less than a block away, as emergency officials worked on the situation. According to an update from the Garvin County 911 text alert system, the students were later allowed to leave by bus or as parents picked them up on the west side of the campus around Futtrell and Stewart Streets.

“Even though the school went into lock down none of the students were ever in danger,” said Rhodes. “The lockdown went pretty well.”