A handful of months after formal homicide charges were filed, an Oklahoma City man has finally made his initial court appearance on the allegation he caused the traffic accident that tragically killed two Wynnewood teenagers earlier this year.

Appearing in Garvin County District Court was Dmitri Andre Thompson, 36, who is facing two misdemeanor counts of negligent homicide because of the deaths of 17-year-olds Michael Lee and Stella Briley nearly 11 months ago.

The recent hearing in a Pauls Valley courtroom came after the dual charges were filed against Thompson back in August.

Thompson is alleged to have improperly turned a tractor-trailer that collided with a vehicle that had Lee and Briley inside.

With Briley as a passenger, Lee was driving a pickup eastbound on state Highway 29 when it struck the much larger vehicle just west of Interstate 35.

The collision in the early afternoon hours of Jan. 20 resulted in the pickup bursting into flames as both Lee and Briley tragically died from massive injuries.

The two criminal charges were based on the investigation by state troopers that concluded Thompson had ample time to observe Lee’s vehicle despite the fact it was traveling faster than the posted speed limit.

“This collision was ultimately caused by Thompson failing to yield to oncoming traffic prior to initiating the turn, which resulted in the deaths of both Michael Stewart Lee and Stella A. Briley,” stated Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper Doug George in a filed affidavit.

Helping with the investigation into the accident was a forensic laser mapping device used to analyze the evidence and produce a scale diagram of the incident, according to George.

Troopers concluded Lee’s pickup was traveling at a speed of 69.85 mph prior to the vehicle’s brakes being applied.

Thompson, who was driving a tractor hauling a 36-foot trailer at the time, had the vehicle stopped in the westbound lane of S.H. 29 and was preparing to turn left into a parking area and make a delivery to a convenience store located near I-35.

According to troopers, Thompson failed to observe Lee’s vehicle approaching when he initiated the turn that crossed into the eastbound lane and directly into the pickup’s path.

Both Lee and Briley were reportedly killed on impact when the two vehicles collided.

The vehicles were pushed off the south side of S.H. 29 where Lee’s pickup became engulfed in fire.

An accident report showed that Thompson was later treated and released at the scene.

Trending Video

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you