A toddler left alone in a car while his mother was in a store shopping now has a Lindsay woman facing a felony count of child neglect.

The criminal charge against Mary Mowdy, 21, filed Wednesday in Garvin County District Court, came after the previous night her young son, described as being just over 1-year-old, was found in a vehicle while Mowdy was inside the Goodner’s grocery store, located in the 200 block of S.E. 2nd in Lindsay.

Lindsay police learned of the incident when they were contacted by an anonymous caller at the listed time of 5:46 p.m. Tuesday, according to a filed affidavit.

“As I ran out of the police station to my patrol unit I could tell that the temperature outside was elevated enough that I felt the child could be in serious danger,” Lindsay officer Robert Brooks stated in the affidavit.

Quickly responding to the call, Brooks soon saw the described car in the grocery store’s parking lot.

The small child was found inside standing behind the driver’s seat with no one else inside. The young boy was holding onto the seat while rocking back and forth.

Reports indicate the child was “sweating profusely” as his clothing and hair was “soaked with moisture.”

“The child was covered from head to toe with sweat,” Brooks stated.

Brooks reported opening the vehicle and taking the child to his air conditioned patrol car until an ambulance arrived.

As medical officials did arrive at the scene a woman came running up from inside the store claiming she was the child’s mother.

The woman was Mowdy, who agreed to talk to police as paramedics checked out her young son at the site.

She admitted to Brooks leaving the toddler in the car while she shopped for groceries.

“Mary told me (the child) was quiet when she went into the store and that she did not intend to stay long,” Brooks stated.

Mowdy claimed to be in the store between 5 and 15 minutes. No food or water was found in the vehicle.

Just to make sure the child was OK, he was driven to Lindsay Municipal Authority as Mowdy was taken into custody by police. She was later released after a $10,000 bond was posted. Her next court appearance is now set for June 22.

Trending Video

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you