The relief of having two first-degree manslaughter charges dismissed may not last long for a Lindsay man formally accused in the traffic deaths of his own wife and a Pauls Valley man last year.

Although the charges against Edward Ray Dutton, 38, have been dropped, officials in the Garvin County District Attorney’s office have said the two felony counts will likely be refiled in the near future.

It was the alleged reckless driving of Dutton that state troopers are claiming resulted in the tragic two-vehicle accident on Aug. 31, 2004, near Foster.

Killed in the wreck were Dutton’s wife, Donna Dutton of Lindsay, 34, and Pauls Valley resident Darel Parks, 29.

Also sustaining serious injury was the defendant himself, who was paralyzed from the neck down.

The two charges against Dutton were dropped when prosecutors were unable to get a preliminary hearing postponed for a fifth time in the case during a recent proceeding in Garvin County District Court.

The charges were dropped, at least for now, because a witness was unable to attend the hearing. In this particular instance the witness was a state trooper.

The double fatality accident occurred when the 1990 GMC truck driven by Edward Dutton reportedly turned in front of a vehicle driven by Parks.

According to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Dutton was traveling on a county road south of Foster, while the 2001 Ford pickup driven by Parks was moving eastbound on state Highway 29.

When Dutton reportedly failed to stop at a traffic sign, Parks’ vehicle struck Dutton’s truck, causing the vehicle driven by Dutton to roll one time, ejecting both Dutton and his wife.

Parks’ truck rolled 1 1/2 times, pinning Parks in the vehicle for approximately 45 minutes.

Records filed in district court also show troopers believe the defendant was driving while intoxicated when the accident occurred.

Donna Dutton was transported by Elmore City E.M.S. to Duncan Regional Hospital, where she was pronounced dead from injuries suffered in the crash.

Parks had to be freed by Elmore City firefighters using a Hurst tool. He was pronounced dead at the scene by a county medical examiner.

Edward Dutton was initially taken by Elmore City E.M.S. to the Bray football field before being airlifted to an Oklahoma City hospital, where he was listed at the time in critical condition with head and trunk internal injuries.

This Week's Circulars