Wynnewood Refinery officials still have no clue as to what caused an explosion in a gasoline producing unit last Friday as the fire is still burning itself out.

Officials at the refinery thought they would be able to get to the unit as early as Saturday, but as of late Monday afternoon the fire was still burning.

“This is a lazy fire. I’m rather surprised it’s still burning,” said plant spokesman Mike Hancock.

Meanwhile, Hancock said the plant has set up an investigation team that will determine the cause of the blast and what the plant should do to prevent any further instances.

“The team has already requested any video that was shot during the fire. There were a couple of news helicopters here filming on Friday and we would like any other footage others may have,” he said.

The team will also be looking at various proceedural records, both electronic and handwritten, prior to the blast and will be conducting an onsite inspection of the gasoline unit once the fire has burned out and the unit is safe to enter.

“We really don’t believe this was due to a human error, but rather a mechanical error of some type. We just won’t know until we can get in there,” Hancock added.

The burning unit has caused the refinery to run at a “reduced rate” with about 30-40 contractors and employees affected by the fire.

Hancock said the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was on the scene immediately after the blast Friday and stayed most of the weekend conducting several tests on what, if any, damage to the environment the fire may have caused.

“They were making sure no toxins were released into the air and generally testing the air and water quality of the area after the blast,” Hancock said.

He said the EPA reported no evironmental hazards were present as a result of the explosion and fire.

“In fact, they were so pleased with everything, they packed up and left last night (Sunday),” Hancock said.

The explosion occurred at around 2:30 p.m. last Friday. There were no injuries or casualties as result of the blast.

A refinery firefighter suffered heat exhaustion and was taken to an area hospital as a precaution, Hancock said.

“Fairly early after the blast we assembled everyone together and started counting noses. Everyone, including our contractors, were accounted for,” Hancock told the Daily Democrat Friday.

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you