A chunk of service time awaits a Lindsay women who recently submitted a new plea to a negligent homicide charge she has faced since last year.

In addition to 100 hours of community service, Jennifer Cowley, 27, was handed a five-year deferred sentence during a recent hearing in Garvin County District Court.

Cowley’s sentencing came after she entered a blind plea of no contest three weeks ago to the misdemeanor accusation she failed to yield at a western Garvin County intersection resulting in a two-vehicle accident on Feb. 20, 2005 and subsequently the death of the other driver.

Dying one day after the accident was Tiffany Fleehart, 20, of Oklahoma City.

The new plea to the homicide charge, which came only moments before the scheduled start of Cowley’s trial, also resulted in the defendant being ordered to complete a driver improvement course and pay a number of fees and fines.

Last year’s accident that resulted in the charge against Cowley occurred near the intersection of state Highway 76 and Garvin Paint Road, located about four miles south of Lindsay.

An Oklahoma state trooper investigating the accident reported Cowley was driving a 1990 Mercury Sable with then 4-year-old Hannah Cowley riding along as a passenger.

The vehicle was eastbound on a county road, while at the same time a 2002 Ford Escort driven by Fleehart was traveling northbound on S.H. 76. Aaron Fleehart, 24 at the time, was a passenger.

The investigation conducted by OHP Trooper Tommy Riddle concluded that Jennifer Cowley’s failure to yield caused the collision with Tiffany Fleehart’s vehicle and ultimately the Oklahoma City woman’s death.

Reports show the impact of the collision ejected Fleehart 13 feet from the vehicle’s point of rest. Aaron Fleehart was thrown about 10 feet. Neither individual was wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident.

Both were initially transported by Lindsay E.M.S. to Lindsay Memorial Hospital.

Tiffany Fleehart was airlifted to OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City, where she was admitted in critical condition. She died the next day — Feb. 21, 2005.

Taken to the same Oklahoma City hospital by way of ambulance was Aaron Fleehart, who was admitted in good condition.

The filed criminal charge against Cowley came just about three months after the fatality accident.

Trending Video

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you