Wynnewood’s Shane Dixon hit a 20-yard field goal in double overtime to give the Savages a 30-27 win over district rival Coalgate Friday night.

The win gives the Savages a 2-0 record in district play with an important district game against county and district foe Stratford looming.

But the Savages came within inches of losing the game Friday night as Coalgate twice came up short of putting the game away to avoid the double overtime loss.

Wynnewood thrilled the home crowd in the first quarter of the game by scoring first at the 1:20 mark in the quarter. The touchdown came on the Savages’ first drive of the game.

After holding the Wildcats to just one first down on the opening drive of the game, Wynnewood started their first offensive effort of the night on their own 17-yard line.

On the third play of the drive, Savage quarterback Shane Dixon, who was in for injured quarterback Russ Brown, took the ball at the 24-yard line and broke open on a run to the Wildcat 14.

The play was called back, though, on an illegal block in the back call. However, once the penalty yards were marked off from the spot of the infraction, Wynnewood was facing a third-and-inches at their own 27-yard line.

It was the first of many breaks the Savages would get through out the night.

The Savages managed to get the ball to their own 40, but were forced to punt on a fourth-and-11 after Dixon was tackled for a loss on a third-and-six play.

That’s when the Savage’s next big break came as Coalgate fumbled the ball on the punt return, giving the ball to Wynnewood on the Wildcat 30.

The Savages then drove the ball to the 8-yard line on seven plays.

Dixon, who was playing injured himself, took the ball over the goal line from eight yards out to give the Savages a 7-0 lead after his extra point kick was good.

Coalgate got the ball to their own 26 on the ensuing kick return and the very first play of the drive was a huge gain on a double-reverse flea flicker play that took the ball to the Savage 28-yard line.

Quarterback Daniel Stingley had two miscues on the next three plays, overthrowing his intended receiver on the next play after the flea flicker and then stumbling down behind the line of scrimmage on another play to put the Wildcats in a fourth-and-14 situation.

The Savages took the ball over on downs when Stingley’s pass to wide receiver Mitchell Loudermilk was dropped on the fourth down play.

Both teams traded possessions before Wynnewood would score again on an impressive 10-play drive that started on the Savage 44.

Wynnewood rarely went to the air with the ball during the game, but when they did it paid off.

The scoring drive was highlighted by a Dixon to Chris Kinard 19-yard pass on a third-and-12 play.

Four plays later, the Savages’ big fullback Chase Miller took the ball into the end zone from 5-yards out. Dixon’s extra point kick was partially blocked and the Savages led 13-0 at the 2:55 mark of the second quarter.

It would be the last time Wynnewood would score until mid-way into the fourth quarter.

Coalgate then mounted a late second quarter drive to bring the score 13-7 in favor of the Savages just before the half ended.

The Wildcats first scoring drive of the game was a mix of screen passes with the longest ones going for 18, 13 and 23 yards during the 10-play, 70-yard drive.

Coalgate started the second half by stuffing the Savage offense and getting the ball back on their own 30-yard line after forcing Wynnewood to punt.

On their first drive of the second half, Dakota Speers ran the ball for 28-yards on a reverse on the second play of the drive to put the Wildcats in Savage territory.

Stingley then connected on another screen pass for 18-yards to take the ball to the Savage 24-yard line.

Four plays later Stingley took the ball in from the one-yard line. The extra point kick was no good and the Wildcats had tied the score 13 all.

Coalgate then capitalized on a Wynnewood fumble on the Savages’ next drive to score quickly on a Stingley to Chiefton Camp 25-yard touchdown pass. The kick was good and Coalgate grabbed their first lead of the game, 20-13.

Wynnewood had to turn the ball over on downs on their next drive and Coalgate looked as if they were going to put the game away for good.

That’s when the Savages got their two biggest breaks in the game.

After getting the ball on downs, Coalgate marched down the field from their own 29-yard line to the Savage 8-yard line in 12 plays.

Facing a fourth-and-six at the 8-yard line, Stinley went back to pass but was rushed out of the pocket, forcing him to run with the ball.

Wynnewood stopped Stingley just inches short of a first down on the 3-yard line and Coalgate was forced to turn the ball over on downs.

Trailing 20-13, Wynnewood drove the ball to their own 24-yard line in a grueling nine play drive.

Facing a third-and-13, Wynnewood went for the long bomb and the gamble paid off again when Dixon hit D.J. Allen on a 76-yard touchdown pass.

The play was by far the best pass play the Savages were able to execute. Dixon heaved the ball high into the air, laying the ball right into Allen’s waiting arms, who then turned on the after-burners to out run the Coalgate defenders to the goal line with 2:29 left to go in the game.

After tying the score on Dixon’s extra point kick, Lady Luck shined on the Savages again.

On the ensuing kick off after the touchdown, the Wildcats returned the ball 90-yards for what would have been the go ahead touchdown. But the return was called back for a pushing in the back call and the Wildcats couldn’t get anything going after that.

As time ran out in regulation, both teams had two shots to get the ball into the end zone, but couldn’t get it done to force the game into overtime.

The Savages won the coin toss for the first overtime and scored on the second play of overtime on a Dixon 8-yard run.

Coalgate tied the score 27-27 on the second play of their overtime drive on a Stingley to Shawn Linton pass play.

In the second overtime, the Wildcats won the coin toss and chose to go on offense first. Coalgate couldn’t get any success on offense and failed to convert on a fourth-and-goal.

Wynnewood got the ball next and drove the ball to the 4-yard line, but couldn’t punch it in on a third-and-goal at the 7-yard line.

That’s when Dixon, heavily wrapped ankle and all, kicked the winning field goal from 20-yards out to give the Savages a 30-27 victory.

The Savages are home again this Friday night to take on Wewoka.

Trending Video

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you